At the end of the 1948 football season, The Sevier County High School Smoky Bears had been on the short end of such scores as 44-0 and 66-0. Meanwhile, the fledgling Sevier County High School Marching Band was struggling for existence and in desperate need of new uniforms.

During the same period the school was experiencing extracurricular struggles, the Sevierville Lions Club was searching for a new project to raise money. Formed in 1939, the organization had supported several community projects including the planning and construction of the new highway between Sevierville and Gatlinburg, the local Boy Scouts, a bowling alley, traffic lights, streetlights, and eyeglasses for grade school children. However, after World War II, the club treasury was “in the red” and there were no fund raising projects on the horizon.