Pigeon Forge rolls to road victory

Aug. 22, 2014 @ 11:22 PM

 It was a 71-0 Pigeon Forge show in a huge win over the Cosby Eagles at Raymond Large Field on Friday night.

It was a story of field position from the start.

While the Tigers began all three of their full first-quarter possessions in Cosby territory — with an average start at the Eagle 39 — Cosby managed just an average start from its own 26 on its four first quarter touches.

Pigeon Forge capitalized on all three first-quarter possessions with Noah Whaley TD runs of 17, 1 and 34 yards for a 23-0 lead by the 3:01 mark of the first quarter. Chase Effler set up Whaley’s second score with a 24-yard sweep left to the Cosby 1.

The Eagles struggled to move the football all night, managing just one first down in the first half on a nice 11-yard run up the gut by Addison Fancher with less than six minutes remaining in the second quarter.

Adding to the Cosby struggles, starting senior QB Derek Weeks was replaced by sophomore Devin Sturm at the end of the first quarter after Weeks apparently failed a concussion test on the Eagle sideline.

The Tigers scored touchdowns on seven of their eight first-half possessions. Cosby’s Dalton Miller ended Pigeon Forge’s eighth possession with a fumble recovery at the Eagle 10 with 3.6 seconds until the break.

The Pigeon Forge defense also added to the scoreboard total when Christian Sisto and Devin Dykes tackled Cosby’s John Dobbs in the Eagle endzone for a 38-0 Tiger lead with 9:27 left in the half.

Effler finally got his touchdown on the first play of the second quarter, taking a sweep left 26 yards for a 30-0 lead with 11:50 until intermission.

Pigeon Forge QB Tanner Sharp made it 36-0 with a 10-yard sweep right with 9:34 to go in the second.

Effler had a 70-yard kickoff return to paydirt following the safety, but the score was waved off and the ball spotted at the Tiger 42 with 9:05 left in the second.

No matter, because Pigeon Forge drove the 58-yards to paydirt on six plays anyway, capped by Whaley’s fourth score of the night on a one-yard plunge with 6:23 to go in the half to up the Tiger lead to 45-0.

Pigeon Forge’s Andrew McCarter made it 51-0 with 3:57 left in the half, taking a sweep left untouched for a 25-yard score.

The clock ran throughout the second half, but the Tigers didn’t stop scoring.

Anthony Baiamonte made it 57-0 Tigers on a six-yard run with l0 minutes even in the third, and Timmy Glavine made it 64-0 with a 35-yard punt return.

And Colby Mathis made it the eventual 71-0 final with a 20-yard misdirection run up the middle.

Dymond Smith tried to add another late Pigeon Forge score with a 50-plus yard INT return with 2:58 to go in the game, but the return was called back due to an illegal block.

Pigeon Forge will take an early bye week and next travels to district rival Carter on Sept. 5, while the Eagles look to rebound with a road trip to West Greene this coming Friday night.