Pigeon Forge committees to review items related to new racing amusement
The city's Regional Planning Commission and Board of Zoning Appeals will discuss items related to a proposed racing center when they meet this afternoon.
The planning commission will consider a site plan for the Xtreme Racing Center, 3144 Parkway, and the zoning board will consider a request to allow the amusement in the area's C-6 (Mixed-Use Commercial) District.
Community Development Director David Taylor said the amusement is allowable under the C-6 district, but it will have to meet certain lighting and sound requirements.
"As far as the lighting plan, they can only have so many foot-candles throughout the amusement area depending on the building," Taylor said. "With the sound, it's based on decibels; they can't have more than 50 decibels after 10 p.m. since there's an adjoining residential area."
Taylor said that because of the adjoining residential district, residents may come forward with concerns.
"It's possible, but we've made sure the requirements were shown on the site plan," Taylor said. "It's allowable use, so we just have to work within the parameters."
The planning commission, which meets at 3 p.m., will consider approval of the following special events:
- Pigeon Forge Police Department's Safety Day — Saturday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Walgreens on the corner of Jake Thomas Boulevard and the Parkway
- Cherie Atchley Memorial 5k — June 1 from 6-9 a.m. at the Old Mill Area
- Elvis Tribute — Sunday at Mountain Comfort Lodge
- Labor Day Weekend Sidewalk Sale — Aug. 30 through Sept. 8 at the Christmas Place at Bell Tower Square
- Memorial Day Tent Sale — May 24-27 at the Christmas Place at Bell Tower Square
The planning commission will also consider:
- A site plan for Billboard Relocation and Consolidation, Easy Stop 2015 Parkway
- A revised site plan for Second Chance Tires, 2839 Veterans Blvd.
- A revised site plan for Smoky Mountain Alpine Coaster, Wears Valley Road
- A request to rezone approximately 6.69 acres at the intersection of North River Road and Jake Thomas Road from C-6 (Mixed-Use Commercial) District to C-2 (Tourist Commercial) District
- A request to rezone approximately 43.75 acres at the intersection of Jake Thomas and Teaster Lane from C-4 (Planned Unit Commercial) District and C-6 (Mixed-Use Commercial) District to C-7 (Planned Unit, Public Use Development) District
The zoning board, which meets immediately after the planning commission, will also consider a request to update an existing non-conforming wall sign at James Manor Hotel, 2735 Parkway.