'Burg okays zoning, land purchases for sports complex
The Gatlinburg City Commission has approved a rezoning ordinance and land purchase that further fills out the logistics surrounding the youth sports complex.
Parcels 48 and 50 of Tax Map 118 are being rezoned from C-2 (general business) Commercial District to C-4 (recreational commercial) District. These are two undeveloped parcels of approximately 10.05 acres along East Parkway (Highway 321) to the north and Proffitt Road to the left.
City Planner David Ball explained Tuesday night that the two parcels are being rezoned to match the zoning of the rest of the sports complex.
“These two parcels are currently C-2, but everything on the right side of Proffitt Road back through Mills Park property else is C-4,” Ball said. “Because these are part of the sports complex project, it just makes sense that the zoning would be consistent with the other parcels in the area, which are all C-4.”
The rezoning passed the Municipal Planning Commission on Feb. 21.
“I think it makes sense,” City Manager Cindy Ogle said of the rezoning.
The commission also approved a land purchase and sale contract for an additional 1.8 acres on 207 Proffitt Road, which will be used for parking.
“This is a piece of property adjacent to the sports complex that I think would be really beneficial for the sports complex parking and also for (Gatlinburg-Pittman High School’s) usage,” Mayor Mike Werner said.
According to the contract, the city will purchase the land from Betty J. Gillette for $250,000.
The commission also approved:
- The third and final reading of an ordinance to amend the Fiscal Year 2012-’13 Budget
- The second reading of an ordinance to amend the municipal code and characterize any new tourist residency as a lodging or rooming house as defined in the 2012 edition of the NFPA 101 Life Safety Code
- A business directional sign for Smoky Mountain Arts and Crafts at the intersection of Glades Road and Powdermill Road, requested by Calvin Franklin
- A request for the usage of the aquarium parking garage for the Sevier County Food Ministries fiesta event on April 18
- A memorial plaque program at the municipal golf course
- Mike Werner as appointment to the Gatlinburg Airport Authority, Inc. board of directors
- A change order to the Southern Contractors, Inc. contract related to the Wastewater Treatment Plant Equalization Basin Project